Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Serpent Crown Interview

1.Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?

Serpent Crown is a three piece band San Francisco Bay Area Band that plays heavy, riff driven music,  inspired principally by sludge metal, 80s thrash, and hardcore.  The band was formed around 2008 but due to lineup issues we've had a lot of trouble being as active as we’ve wanted to be. But we’re looking to get out there more  in near times to come.


2.How would you describe your musical sound.

A head banging voyage of  heavy sonic regurgitations from the underworld, fueled by rage and misanthropy...


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
The end of the world, the mind of a serial killer, entering the realm of death, vampirism , mental illness..... all kinds of fun stuff.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
The Serpent Crown is a mystical power object, which is a part of the marvel comic lore.  I appreciate it’s symbolic value, and I think it’s role as vehicle to for the evil god Set lends itself to the concept of the band since many of our songs explore the evil ways of humanity.  I also like that fact that visually it is a crown of Serpents since I have an aesthetic fascination with snakes.
 
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
We played a cool show with Holy Grail and Slough Feg recently, it's hard to compare since the shows we've played have been pretty far apart.  We also played another really fun one in the not too distant past with Witch Mountain.  There are only three of us, and I try and rock as hard as I can considering that I'm kinda "chained" to my mike stand as the guitarist/vocalist.  Fortunately Dave (the bass player) is a really animated performer, and he likes to play without his shoes on.. (?)
 
6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
We have a short tour at the end of the month, and will be planning a longer one in the not too distant future.
 
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of metal/
It has generally been positive.  It seems overall everyone has a different stylistic take on the music, which rests fine with me because it means that we're doing things  a little differently and not trying to be emblematic of a specific genre.  Some people say we're old school, others say we're similar to High on Fire, there is that melding of doom/thrash/punk, and elements of Voivod.  I'm just happy that's no one has said  "that we don't bring anything new to the table," which seems common critique of so many bands out there. In writing material for Serpent Crown I combine what I enjoy most in metal, with some punk/hardcore sensibilities, and things come from a real emotional place. It’s about expressing what I really feel and what gets my blood flowing.  I think a lot of people look externally in their stylistic approach to music and really seek to fit in a certain genre, I find that can be limiting.  For me music ultimately is about self-expressing, and I express what comes from within.  
 
8. Are there any other musical projects going on these days?
 
Dave and I have dabbled in some other stuff but nothing concrete coming up.
 
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
 
I am looking to make the heavy parts even more crushing and the thrashing parts even more brutal, in general upping the ante in what we've already been doing. Also thinking of adding some more death metal elements to the songs, while having some good atmospheric interludes.  I am also looking to refine the production values in the next recording. Definitely want to put more time in working on all the material and making the next album a step up in all respects. I’ve definitely have refined my own chops and have a new arsenal to bring to the table.  Been working on  new material that I’m really excited about.
 
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
 
I’m influenced from anything to 80s thrash, heavy sludge (i.e. Crowbar, High on Fire), some grind, and hardcore.  The classics are also an important basis, anything from Sabbath to the Scorpions.  I’m not so fixated on certain bands but the various stylistic devices that are out there and integrating them in my own way.
 
Recently I’ve been getting into Kingdom of Sorrow, I’m a big fan of Kirk Weinstein, and the most recent Goatwhore album 'Blood for the Master,' it’s excellent on so many levels.  I don’t check out as much new stuff as I should because there’s always so many older band I’m discovering that I haven’t gotten into before.  Right now Coven’s 'Blessed is the Black" in on my Turntable. I'm also completely fixated on Flotsam Jetsam's 'No Place for Disgrace.'  That album has an amazing balance of super fast, brutal riffs, and heart rending emotional parts, completely awesome.   I also enjoy Toxic Holocaust and Black Breath.
 
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
 
I have a background in fine arts that predates my heavy metal guitar playing endeavors.  I was actually an active exhibiting artist for a number or years but I put that on the back burner several years ago to concentrate on music and my guitar playing.  But I still do all the artwork for my band.  I like to keep it looking old school.

I also like furry animals.
 
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
 


Just happy there has been some interest in our release and am looking forward to getting out there and unleashing ourselves upon the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment