Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Dr. Gloumon Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
1. I have been playing the guitar since I was little. I started with a classic guitar but then I found myself more related to the electric guitar. I was really enjoying it, I felt the need to compose, and to explore all the possibilities the instrument offered me. Then, I wanted to take it to the next level. So I started recording, improving and thinking also as a listener, what I would like to listen. I have been playing under the name of Dr.Gloumon since 2012, when I released my first EP on the internet. Being a one man band, I write, record and make my covers myself. I released my second EP recently. I really love what I am doing and more than that, music helps me to express myself better than words, who I am and what I feel.

2.So far you have released 2 ep's, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?
2. Both are instrumental. The first EP was focused on melodies, it was standard E tuning and diverse, with many guitar solos. In the second one, on the other hand, I concentrated more on the rhythm and I made it more heavy. I used this time drop A# tuning so it is louder and powerful. Improving my skills in programming drums helped a lot. I imposed myself to not use any electronic effects this time. I wanted the EP's sound to be more raw, direct and simple.

3.So far the music has been all instrumental, are you planning on using vocals in the future or do you chose to remain instrumental?
3. I'm happy doing instrumental music but I'm thinking about vocals also.

4.What are some of the themes and images you bring out with your musical sound?
4. It is about introspection. Music is a positive way for me to express my negative feelings and put all the energy that is inside me out. Using the instrumental gives a certain freedom to the imagination of the listener. Everyone could  interpret the music in its own way.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Dr. Gloumon'?
5. "Dr. Gloumon" popped into my head and it just sounded right! This name worked very well because I was practically experimenting with music, and it felt very funny.

6.With this musical project you record everywhere by yourself, do you prefer doing things this way than working with a full band?
6. Doing the music by myself gives me a certain freedom and let me experiment in the way I want, most of it because it is a reflection of myself and what I felt at a certain point. I would also be interested in playing with others. I am looking forward to find people to jam with, to experiment live music.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
7. I haven't thought about it too much.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of metal?
8. I have received very positive feedback from the people that heard it. I am working also to reach even more people.

9.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
9. I'm thinking of making an album. I have already gathered some material and I am working on my recording skills to make it sound even better.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. Definitely Gojira and Cloudkicker are my biggest influences. I am inspired by In Flames and basically everything that I listen to, from hip hop to french songs. Currently, some of my favorite artists are Cunninlynguists, John Frusciante, The Dø, Plini, Alt-J, Alain Bashung, Emmanuel Urbanet… Paradoxically, I don't really listen to metal music anymore, beside the bands I mentionned.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. I am passionate about gardening. I actually study landscape architecture. I am very interested in reading literature and digital painting too.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. Thank you very much for the interview. I am enjoying what I am doing and I hope the others will enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment